Think I'm going to roast my own chestnuts this year... any tips?

asked by @zGarba almost 4 years ago

punch a small slit into each nut with a paring knife. boil in water for 10 minutes then roast for 15-20 minutes at 350. when you peel the nuts, some of them may have green mold on the skin. don't eat the moldy ones, taste will tell you why.

Sleepin_rache_circa_92

I was just researching this...I miss the roasted chestnuts from the street venders in Italy. For my chestnuts i will cutting an x into them with a paring knife (place nuts on a towel so they dont roll around and you cut yourself!) and then i am going to roast them for 20-30 in a 425 degree oven. I was also thinking of either soaking them in some salt water, i am not sure how nuts soak up water though. But also mixing together a little olive oil, salt and herbs to drizzle over their openings before i put them in the oven.
Good Luck and Happy Roasting!

Ozoz_profile

4109604645_223635baf0 Hi,I always make the slits on my chestnuts prior to roasting on the curved side of the nut not the flat side. When they’re ready, the edges of the crosses curl backwards. Remove them from the oven and let them cool down for a couple of minutes before you peel them, being careful to rid them completely of the ‘tough’ internal skin. It’s amazing because I find that some batches are easier to peel than others. Anyhow, peel them and use as required.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Very, very helpful, Kitchen Butterfly! Gorgeous photo, too. ;o)

Moi

I like the water method because a little seeps in and makes them easier to peel. You need sturdy fingernails! They are easier to peel when they are warm, so if they cool off, I just nuke them for a few seconds in the microwave. Or cheat. Buy then in a jar. I guess that's not so much in the Thanksgiving spirit, and anyway, too late for this year.

S538818392_1497440_3193_1_

Img39m_1_ I was born in Italy and roasted and continue to roast chestnuts. Even though I have a fireplace, I choose to roast them over a cook top. After cutting the chestnuts as mentioned above, place them in a holed pan (see picture below) over low to medium heat. They must be turned frequently in order not to burn just on one side. They usually take about 35 to 45 minutes. Once roasted, wrap them into a dishtowel to finish cooking and create some moisture for about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve. I love them with a glass of robust wine like a Cabernet.
Enjoy.