They would work fine and I would toast them in a little olive oil.

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I agree with Savorthis but I would also note that Panko, while considered to be a "bread crumb," is a highly "de-natured" bread product, meaning it has almost no inherent taste, and would not add anything more than crunch if eaten "out of hand" as it were. If I don't have breadcrumbs on hand, per se, I tear up pieces of bread and "toast" in olive oil in oven, toaster over or skillet.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I agree with Shuna. Panko is great for the crunch, but if you use them you'll want to add some seasonings. I would warm some olive oil in a skillet and throw in some garlic cloves to flavor the oil. Then, add the panko, salt and pepper, and perhaps some herbs. I recently made something with panko and added minced spicy pepperoni to it. Sounds a little odd, but it was spectacular.