A question about a recipe: Brigit Binns' Crab Cakes

2013-0606_crab-cakes-029

I have a question about the recipe "Brigit Binns' Crab Cakes" from Genius Recipes. can i fry these and then reheat in the oven? and at what temp afor about how long?

asked by gasgirl over 1 year ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

I'd be a little worried they'd dry out or lose their crisp edges, but I'm asking Merrill, who's made these for larger parties before.

Could you fry them relatively soon before the party and just keep them warm in the oven at its lowest setting?

Kristen ...thank you so much for responding so quickly! I am going to someone's home and that is why i wanted to reheat. I think i will make these another time....when the party is at my own home! But again....thank you!

Miglore

Of course! Yes, I'm with you -- sounds easier to go with something more portable. Let us know if you need ideas!

Miglore

Here's what Merrill said -- something to try for next time!

"They're actually pretty forgiving so you can get away with re-warming them, although obviously they won't be exactly the same a fresh from the pan. I used to make mini ones for big catering gigs and reheat them in the oven at about 300 for 8 minutes or so. Bigger ones would take a little longer."

Thanks Kristen...appreciate the follow thru!

BTW...i am going to bring Thomas Keller recipe for smoked salmon on crackers....easy and no need to reheat!

When reheating food that you don't want to dry out, the hotter the oven is, the better, because the food will have to cook for less time. I would go for 375-400 degrees.

Great advice..makes sense..i will use the higher heat!