🔔
🔎

Eek! substituting almond milk for regular to make buttermilk for my blueberry muffins, is this what it's supposed to look like?

121117_eek!_substituting_almond_milk_for_regular_to_make_buttermilk_for_my_blueberry_muffins__is_this_what_it's_supposed_to_look_like_

asked by rebaEm over 1 year ago
Merrill

Did you add vinegar to the almond milk? What happens when you whisk it?

Image

Because buttermilk has a lot of fat in it, I would add butter (earthbalance is a great dairy free brand) or canola oil to try to mimic the buttermilk effect.

Most buttermilk is low fat. You rarely see whole fat buttermilk, and the it is only around 4% milk fat, so don't try adding more fat to compensate as suggested above.

well, i had to abandon and use a different recipe because i was running out of time. but when i whisked it, it stayed the same consistency. i used a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar

yeah, I don't think you can sub for buttermilk that way. But simply adding some lemon juice to the recipe might do the trick

Hilary_sp1

You can substitute a soured non-dairy milk for buttermilk. I've done it many a time; it is the almond milk that is the problem. I've had the best success with unsweetened soy milk and unsweetened rice milk. In turns of mimicking buttermilk, the soy curdles and has the taste, look, and thickness of cultured buttermilk. I know that almond milk has the best taste and probably the best health quotient--but I've found success with soy.