I left some corn on the cob in their husks out for 24 hours. Usually, I store in the fridge...is it still safe to eat?

asked by Stephanie G over 1 year ago
Dsc_0028

It'll be fine food-safety wise, but probably less sweet than when it was fresher. The sugars begin converting to starch soon after the corn is harvested.

Because the sugars start converting as soon as the corn is picked, friends who planted it used to joke that they always planted it uphill from the house & started the water boiling before they picked it! I can tell you from experience that it's best cooked ASAP after purchase, but yours will be OK.

Imag0055

Supersweet corn, however, will hold its sweetness much longer than conventional hybrids---it is bred to do that.

I'm not sure of the question. Does the OP mean they left out raw corn on the cob, or cooked corn on the cob?
If it's raw...24 hours is nothing, heck even a few days is nothing. (and no it won't taste as good as freshly cooked---but it's May and the corn has been shipped from the southern hemisphere and stored for a day before you purchased it--mostly without refrigeration.