🔎

• 5

• 3145

• See other questions tagged:
    • corn

I left some corn on the cob in their husks out for 24 hours. Usually, I store in the fridge...is it still safe to eat?

3-bizcard

Voted the Best Answer!

If I am wrong one of our food safety experts will weigh in but I think it's perfectly safe to eat corn left at room temperature for 24 hrs. You see corn in husk at farm stands all the time and I am sure they sit longer than 24 hrs unrefrigerated.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added 12 months ago

It'll be fine food-safety wise, but probably less sweet than when it was fresher. The sugars begin converting to starch soon after the corn is harvested.

jsdunbar added 12 months ago

Because the sugars start converting as soon as the corn is picked, friends who planted it used to joke that they always planted it uphill from the house & started the water boiling before they picked it! I can tell you from experience that it's best cooked ASAP after purchase, but yours will be OK.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added 12 months ago

Supersweet corn, however, will hold its sweetness much longer than conventional hybrids---it is bred to do that.

Sam1148 added 12 months ago

I'm not sure of the question. Does the OP mean they left out raw corn on the cob, or cooked corn on the cob?
If it's raw...24 hours is nothing, heck even a few days is nothing. (and no it won't taste as good as freshly cooked---but it's May and the corn has been shipped from the southern hemisphere and stored for a day before you purchased it--mostly without refrigeration.