🔔
🔎

Hiw to 'juice' an herb like Thyme?

I have a lot of thyme and instead of it going to waste, I thought I could juice it and use it to finish off dishes. I've seen videos of Noma where a dish is topped with a green rampion sauce or thyme juice or even a grass 'soup' and for the life of me, I'm not sure how they juice these herbs and grasses. Thoughts or recipes?

asked by jondotli over 1 year ago

What a great idea! Since thyme is a woody herb, I'd strip the leaves off the stems. Juice and then freeze in ice cube trays. Store in the freezer in plastic bags.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I know that you can get an attachment for the KitchenAid mixer that is supposed to be used for juicing/pulverizing tomatoes or other fleshy produce. But I did see a YouTube video where someone was using this attachment for juicing wheatgrass, so I can only imagine it would be great for herbs. I would strip off any woody stalks, though. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the modernist cuisine types are using a centrifuge to clarify the herb juice, but this is mostly for presentation--you won't need that (and whoo boy are they expensive!).

I bet Wiley Dufresne has one ;-).

I recently (10 months ago) made a permanent change to my diet and eat a very large salad with a bit of protein (mostly) every day for lunch - no denial of things I like, just necessarily less of them since I've cut out an entire meal. After a lot of trial and error and reading on the web, I now chop up all the bits of veggies that I don't like to eat (both my salad veggies and veggies I use for regular recipes and cooking) and I save them in sandwich-sized Ziploc bags to be used later in soup. I treat mild herbs, like parsley (and coriander, because I'm Asian and we treat it just like parsley) like my other veggies, but stronger herbs, like thyme, rosemary, etc., I chop and then sprinkle into the veggie-filled Ziploc bags already in the freezer. Thyme is small enough that you can just strip them off the leaves and not bother to chop. It's certainly easier than juicing, so you might want to give it a try.

Why not make a pesto out of your bounty of thyme?