A question about a recipe: Peaches with Creme Fraiche, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg

072709f_0002

I have a question about the recipe "Peaches with Creme Fraiche, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Nutmeg" from merrill. what is crème fraîche and where do i get it

asked by sofia about 1 year ago
Merrill

Creme fraiche is like sour cream, only less sour. You can find it at most grocery stores, usually in the gourmet cheese section. For this dish, you definitely substitute with sour cream in a pinch.

Merrill is correct in her advice to look for it in the cheese department as opposed to dairy. Depending on where you live, you could also substitute "crema" which is a Mexican/Salvadoran style sour cream.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I would try making my own crème fraîche if I were you. It's easy (and if you live in a rural area, it'll be a lot less expensive than tracking down the real stuff). Just take heavy cream, add buttermilk (2 tablespoons buttermilk to 1 cup cream), and let it sit at room temp, covered, until it starts to smell a bit sour and thickens up. This can take up to a couple days depending on the temp.

Creme fraiche is definitely sold at Whole Foods Markets - it's sold in a little (8 oz) flat plastic tub (like the kind they sell cream cheese in). The most common brand I've seen is in a pink tub (I don't recall the name). Petitbleu is right that you can just make it yourself - most homemade recipes call for buttermilk, but I've made it with sour cream, vinegar, and yogurt too. If you can find whole milk yogurt, you can use that as a substitute, too - do some taste testing and choose the mildest one.

Dsc00859_2

The brand in the pink tub is Vermont Creamery; available on the East Coast (U.S.). I always have a tub in the fridge. I know, I know. I should make my own.