Where to eat on the road in France?

Hello all,

In July, I will be driving between La Rochelle and Lyon. I'm wondering if someone can recommend a magical restaurant somewhere between those two cities, for use to stop and have lunch. It can be fancy, but even better would be a hole-in-the wall type place. I don't mind the setting, as long as the food is great.

Thanks!

asked by cristinasciarra over 1 year ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

If you leave La Rochelle around 10 am this should put you in Poitiers around lunch time. Check this place out! Auberge Espagnolemore info?
122 Rue des 4 Roues
86000 Poitiers, France
05 49 55 13 71

Safe travels!

Bigpan

I have always enjoyed stoping in a village, buy some bread, cheese, cold cuts, and wine - then find a road that goes into a farm yard and have a picnic under a shade tree.
(we travel with a small blanket and kit with a couple knives and forks and wine glasses.)

Junechamp

That would depend very much upon the route you are planning to take. Do you plan to drive through Burgundy? If so, I can help you. OTOH, If you plan to drive more west to east, I don't know the Loire, or that farmland section of France that will lie between the two.

Cristina-014-web-final

I think our route will look something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/YLuhr

Junechamp

cristinasciarra: I tried those links and they did not come up with anything.

Cristina-014-web-final

Yeesh, you're quite right. Basically, I just typed La Rochelle-Lyon into google maps! We sort of want to get there in the most direct way possible. Since there is no direct train, I thought it might be prettier and easier to drive.

Junechamp

well, my bad! I thought La Rochelle was up in Brittany! the map shows it a short distance above Dijon. There are quite a few wonderful places to stop and buy food and/or wine or dine on that route, which takes you directly down the wine route in Burgundy. We went the opposite -- up from Lyon through Burgundy. Message me you email address and I'll send you whole bunches of info.

Cristina-014-web-final

Thank you! Will do.

Chris_in_oslo

Hmmm. Better clarify which La Rochelle you mean! I wasn't thinking Brittany or Dijon but on the coast in the Charente-Maritime.

Cristina-014-web-final

As far as I know, the only La Rochelle is on the coast in Charente-Maritime! South of Nantes, north of Bordeaux. I think we're thinking of the same one :)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Not sure what your plans are once you reach Lyons, but the poulet in Bourg-en-Bresse are all that they're cracked up to be, i.e., the best in the world. And the tiny flamboyant Gothic Église Saint-Nicolas-de-Tolentin de Brou there, dating back to the early 16th century, is one of the prettiest masterpieces of ecclesiastic architectural I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. ;o)

P1291120

When in France and in doubt, eat where the parking lot is fullest -- particularly if you see trucks.

...or ducks.

MS

If you pass through Bordeaux, definitely go to La Tupina.

Otherwise, if you have a smartphone that will work while you are there you should download Michelin's app. Based on your location it will give you a list of recommended(some with stars and some without) restaurants and tells you how far you are from them.