🔎

I need a suggestion about vegetable and dairy free Lasagna.

I am using Lactose free whole milk and dairy free Mozzarella and Cheddar style shreds and I want to use tofu instead of ricotta in the white sauce. Do you think should I blend it into the sauce or just layout slices of tofu like I would slices of cheese?

3-bizcard

I am not a tofu expert but I don't think the tofu would melt like cheese and it tastes different, you could blend into the sauce making it creamy or you could do something different like fry it to add another layer of flavor. Maybe some of our resident tofu experts will weigh in. Have never done a dairy free lasagna, you are using lactose free milk so it has some dairy you are just trying to keep the dairy to a minimum?

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added 11 months ago

Is this firm or silken tofu? I'd whip the silken tofu, then blend it into the sauce. Firm tofu should still work to thicken the sauce, but I would try to whip it or beat it until it was creamy.

Kukla added 11 months ago

I am making the Lasagna for my granddaughter’s graduation party and a couple of her friends are vegetarians and lactose intolerant. Both your suggestions will be very helpful. I have plenty of veggies and firm tofu and I think to incorporate half of it into the sauce and the other half make how Suzanne suggested. Thank you ladies for such helpful and quick answers!

3-bizcard

I know it will be delicious. Happy graduation to your grand daughter.

Fortunata added 11 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

You don't really need the tofu. One thing that makes meatless lasagnas really good is mushrooms.

Junechamp

There is no such thing as totally lactose free milk. I'd suggest using rice milk or soy milk (unsweetened) instead of any dairy product if there are lactose intolerant diners involved. Lactaid can produce some pretty unpleasant reactions in the severely lactose intolerant.

Image
ZombieCupcake added 11 months ago

Cauliflower pulsed in the blender then mixed with lastose free plain yogurt

Kukla added 11 months ago

Thank you all for your knowledgeable and prompt answers, I’ll take them for consideration!

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added 11 months ago

Hi Kukla, I add pureed tofu to lasagna filling all the time (just don't tell my kids). I use 16 oz. cottage cheese and one block of tofu (the "regular" kind in a square tub of water) for a 9x13 lasagna. I puree it in my food processor and add the cottage cheese at the end. If you can find lactose free cottage cheese I guarantee it will work. I usually add some ground pepper, some salt, and some oregano. I usually don't add meat to my lasagna just tomato sauce, my "ricotta" filling, mozzarella and some parmesan on top.

spiffypaws added 11 months ago

I personally dislike using Lactaid free milk in white sauce because it is too sweet. I much prefer using chicken stock in place of Lactaid milk, or unsweetened soy milk, but chicken stock yields a better flavor. Make sure it is a low sodium stock. I make a tofu "ricotta" cheese in place of tofu-I don't have access to the recipe tonight but can post tomorrow if you're interested.

spiffypaws added 11 months ago

Scratch the chicken stock in place of Lactaid i sugg above and try veg stock in your white sauce.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Be sure to add a teeny tiny pinch of freshly ground nutmeg, and a good pinch of finely chopped fresh thyme, to your white sauce or blended tofu layer. It will make all the difference in the world. ;o)

Kukla added 11 months ago

I will definitely do just like you say AJ! Thank you!

Scan0004
susan g added 11 months ago

Tofu Cookery, by Louise Hagler, has 2 lasagna recipes that use a "Ricotta Style Filling." Mash 3 pounds tofu, mix in 1/2 cup lemon juice, 4 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 6 Tb oil, 4 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp garlic powder. This was layered with the other ingredients.

Kukla added 11 months ago

Thank you so very much friends! How lucky we are to belong to such great community!

Scan0004
susan g added 11 months ago

I just found a 'lasagna' that I want to try -- without pasta! I think the filling would be easy to convert to tofu, and of course the noodles could be returned. I like the 'outside the box' thinking here: http://cookingontheweekends...

Kukla added 11 months ago

Th

Kukla added 11 months ago

Thank kindly susan for the link, it is really a very interesting recipe! I saved it and planning to try it just like it is written!