🔔
🔎

Fondant Cake vs Frosted Cake

What do you prefer for cake, a fondant cake to a frosted cake. I know fondant cakes are more aesthetic then frosted cake. Do they taste better than frosted ones. What is your best icing or frosting - buttercream, cream cheese or swiss meringue. What is the best fondant available in the market? I am looking for a stable and good tasting option for a two tier cake.

asked by PistachioDoughnut over 1 year ago
Junechamp

I am not a fan of fondant for its taste/texture. I agree it may produce a more "finished" cake, so it all depends upon what you're going for. Do you want everyone to say "WOW! How gorgeous?" Or "WOW, how delicious?"

Junechamp

forgot to add that my presonal preference is buttercream. :)

Photo_(6)

I agree to you chefjune. My personal favourite is something not overly sweet and tasty rather than looks. And, no doubt if piping skills are good it should be frosted cake vs fondant cake. But, it is not always about what I like especially when I am making it for someone else, right. So got confused. Thanks clear out the confusion.

Regular fondant is not going to taste good. You can make your own marshmallow fondant, which will certainly taste better. I've only done that for figurines, however, and never to roll out for covering a cake, so I can't speak to that. Frosting will always taste better, and if you crumb-coat the cake, etc., it can look pretty darn good. Swiss buttercream is my favorite, because it is not tooth-achingly sweet.

Photo_(6)

I have actually never made swiss buttercream. Looks like someday I need to give it a try. I think so it is more stable kind of frosting.

3-bizcard

I definitely prefer buttercream to fondant, I agree with Chef June about the taste and texture. It does make for a beautiful wow factor cake but buttercream can also produce a beautiful cake especially if you are proficient at piping. Nothing more beautiful than buttercream roses or flowers and deft piping.

Photo_(6)

Suzanne, I feel I am not a perfectionist with piping, but I am sure that I am not bad also. Personally, I prefer buttercream cakes. As said above that I want to give best to others so helps clear out my confusion by asking what do others choose if asked for. Now, I am thinking that I use buttercream or any frosted cake and then may be make a big peony or rose from fondant and stick it on one side of the cake or something of that sort.Thanks

3-bizcard

That sounds beautiful!

Gator_cake

I'm going to swim against the stream, and say I prefer fondant. Not for it's taste -- I do a nice layer of buttercream or ganache underneath the fondant for the flavor -- but for the decorating options! I've used the mini-marshamallow fondant for rolling and covering and think it works about as well as the Satin Ice brand. I like to flavor it with a little orange blossom water. Satin Ice tastes about like a marshmallow so not horrible, but definitely not delicious. Wilton fondant tastes terrible -- really terrible.

3-bizcard

Yes thats a really good idea, I remember my daughters wedding cake had a layer of buttercream under the fondant. It's like the best of both worlds.

Ozoz_profile

All for buttercream, because you can then eat the whole cake without getting 'sick', though my children are happy to munch through square inches of the stuff.

For decorating, I prefer the ease of buttercream, allowing sufficient time to do a good crumb coat. I also love ganache.....though I know that isnt an option you give ir oerhaps are considering.

Good luck

Waffle3

Fondant has its place but give me cream cheese or chocolate fudge if I have a choice.

We had a big discussion about this subject over dessert on Mother's Day. My brother criticized my "home-made" style presentation expecting that I would have produced something a bit more polished (this coming from a guy who's never baked so much as a cookie in his entire life). I was trying for the opposite of "I just went to the bakery and bought you a cake, Mom" but that concept was lost on him.

Junechamp

I agree with you, Ono. I'm not fond of decorating cakes. During my catering days, I used to bake them and take them to a friend who loved doing all that piping and flowers. A yummy fudgy frosting does wonders for almost any kind of cake, and cream cheese takes care of the rest. ;) I also like the poured molten frosting of a SacherTorte. Like to spell out the name of the honoree instead of "Sacher" on top.

I'm not much of a cake-baker, but as a cake-consumer I prefer not-too-sweet buttercream over fondant every time.

buttercream with a some cream cheese to balance it out, and fresh, but edible, flowers for decoration

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Buttercream, hands down.