Softening graham crackers

I'm thinking of re- working a family favorite dessert recipe for this weeks' contest and would like to use softened graham crackers in place of thin slices of cake. Will a brief soak in milk do the trick? And if so, for how long?

asked by inpatskitchen over 1 year ago
Gator_cake

Hmmm. When I was a kid we'd break up a bunch of graham crackers and put them in a bowl, then pour on milk as if they were cereal. They softened up pretty quickly if my memory serves.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Depending on what goes in-between the graham crackers, you may not need to pre-soften. My great-grandmother makes a delicious dessert with graham crackers layered with vanilla pudding and chocolate satin frosting. The crackers soften nicely on their own. I think she makes the dessert the day before serving it, so they have plenty of time to soften.

Thanks to both of you. The crackers will go in the freezer as opposed to the fridge so the concern is will they soften there. I think I'll try just a quick dip in the milk (in and out).