A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Christmas Bread

Pumpkin_christmas_bread

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Christmas Bread" from mrslarkin. has anybody tried honey as a substitute for some of the granulated sugar?

asked by adele93 about 1 year ago
Image

I haven't, but I think if you try it, you may have to increase the flour. It's a really wet recipe-- it's delicious-- but when I've made it, it has sunken in the middle after baking-- I think I have a comment about that somewhere in the comments section. It's delicious, though, either way.

I love subbing sugar for honey. I haven't made that recipe, though. The only advice I can offer is to be careful when adding the honey as it is heavier than sugar. If you're baking by volume (ie. cups), add less. Weighing your ingredients would be the best way to go and you can even look up sugar vs honey weights on Mr. Google. Good luck!

Honey contains approximately twice the "sweetness" of sugar, so let that be your guide in replacement. Too, it is acidic, so you'll need to add baking soda to neutralize the acid, or the rise won't be as good; the ratio is 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 8 ounces of acidic ingredient.

Junechamp

I don't know why you can't. I haven't made that recipe yet, but quick breads are generally pretty forgiving. When I sub honey for the sugar, I use half as much. Honey is sweeter than sugar. You also may need more flour (or other dry ingredient) to compensate for the extra wetness.

Gator_cake

Here's the info from Cook's Thesaurus for substituting sugar for honey, so just reverse what it says: If baking, for each cup of honey, substitute 1 1/2 cups of sugar, increase a liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup, and reduce the baking soda (if used) by 1/2 teaspoon.

Stringio

thanks so much for all the great advice