🔎

• 12

• 1276

What is a good way to use/preserve fresh mint?

I just started gardening, and my mint has blossomed and then some. I don't want it to go to waste, but I just don't use that much mint in my normal cooking (I usually use it as a drink ingredient/garnish). I'm looking for help on how to use it so it won't go to waste!

Trena added 10 months ago

Congratulations on starting a garden! It sounds like you're on the right track with your mint plants so far. I have a lot of mint around my garden and let most of it flower to attract bees to my garden...they love mint. A nice and simple recipe that incorporates mint is thinly sliced summer squash pan fried in olive oil until lightly brown with a reduction of balsamic vinegar (the good stuff) with sliced mint over the top.

themissingingredient added 10 months ago

No need to hoard your mint by storing it. Once it gets a start in your garden it will take over the place.

inpatskitchen added 10 months ago

To keep it for the winter, pack it in ice cube trays and pour a little water over. Freeze and then put the cubes in freezer bags. When you need some mint for a soup or stew take a cube or two out for your recipe.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added 10 months ago

You can cut large branches off the plant, and leave them in the sun for a few days to dry the mint for use later.

ellenl added 10 months ago

I love this---thinly sliced cucumber with juice from 1 lime. Let sit 30 mins. Squeeze another lime in and mix with good amount of chopped mint. And can also do this and toss with chunks of watermelon.

P1291120
SeaJambon added 10 months ago

We had a very similar question recently (mint is clearly growing!!). Check out this thread...http://food52.com/hotline...

ellenl added 10 months ago

Also, epicurious has a "recipe" for a minted citrus salad (something like that)----in blender or processor combine fresh mint and sugar, sprinkle over mixed citrus fruits. Minted pea soup (Bittman, maybe?). Mint tea. So many things.

Bigpan
bigpan added 10 months ago

We made mint jelly. Next time I will cut back on the sugar a bit, but you need pectin for it to set. Due to the sugar content it keeps in the fridge for a long time. The color is not the green you see in the store - ours is more of a golden color - but a full mint taste.
Or, chop up and dry in a slow oven and bottle for future use.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added 10 months ago

Make mojitos!

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added 10 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

mint pesto is good way of using it and it freezes well top

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added 10 months ago

Make mint tea daily! http://www.kitchenbutterfly...

Make a paste with green chilies, spring onions, cilantro if you have it, ginger and garlic. Store in ice cube trays. Pop into rice, sauces and soups

Antonio Amato added 10 months ago

Make ravioli filling, purée mint, peas
Parmegiano Little cream ,