🔎

• 2

• 514

• See other questions tagged:
    • lamb

lamb shoulder

So I ordered a lamb shoulder roast from a local butcher, and they lost my order. So I ended up with 2x four pound shoulder cuts that are labeled as blade chops. Is this the same thing? I want to braise them. Once tender will I be able to remove the bones, slice, and serve? Or will some butchering need to be done? Any advice appreciated.

Bigpan
bigpan added 11 months ago

Yes, a different cut as it has the blade bone in it. You are right on track to braise them - sear first; braise, turn, braise. You might find that you will not get slices, but something closer to pulled-pork like.
I would take a closer look to see if you can de-bone before cooking. A good boning knife does wonders. Then you can shape the meat and tie with butchers string and treat as if it was the roast you originally wanted.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added 11 months ago

Lamb shoulder blade chops make excellent lamb stew. Leave the bones in as they will add flavor. I usually brown them first before stewing or braising.