🔎

A question about a recipe: Smoky Minestrone with Tortellini and Parsley or Basil Pesto

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Minestrone with Tortellini and Parsley or Basil Pesto" from WinnieAb. If you are going to make this vegetarian, would you add smoked paprika instead of the bacon?

052510f_415
Lost_in_NYC added 10 months ago

That seems like a good alternative.

Trena added 10 months ago

I think that sounds brilliant!

ATG117 added 10 months ago

I'd probably just leave out the bacon. I think it has enough flavor contrast going on even without it.

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added 10 months ago

I agree with ATG117. I've made this soup without the bacon, making no subsitutions, and it is absolutely delicious as a vegetarian soup. Don't omit garnishing with the pesto -- the pesto really elevates this soup into something special. Hope that you enjoy! :)

Scottsdale Bubbe added 10 months ago

We make vegetarian black eyed peas and use either liquid smoke or smoked salt. Most smoked paprika that I have purchased is pretty wimpy in the smoked flavor department.

Liquid smoke isn't a bad idea (in moderation) but good, authentic, Spanish smoked pimenton is definitely not wimpy. You won't find it in your supermarket though.

MaddyBelle added 10 months ago

You could also roast some of the vegetables and get a little char on them to amp up the flavor and get a little bit of smokiness. For this recipe, I might roast the zucchini before adding it. Otherwise it looks like the recipe should have plenty of flavor even without bacon!