All questions

burnt popcorn

any tips on removing the smell of burnt popcorn in your house, besides keeping the windows open? Mrs. Larkin's kitchen wisdom: don't start popcorn when there's an ems call at your neighbor's house.

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

asked over 1 year ago
8 answers 893 views
Image
added over 1 year ago

after using your oven to cook something, if you plain doing it today throw keep the oven on and put a cinnamon stick in there and let roast

Mrs._larkin_370
mrslarkin

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

added over 1 year ago

Good idea! Will try that when my ribs are done roasting. Thank u ZC!

3-bizcard
sdebrango

Suzanne is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 1 year ago

I've burnt popcorn in the microwave and the smell is awful, windows open, fans running, scented candles, air freshener, fabric freshener, cleaned my microwave with baking soda and lemon. I feel your pain.

Dscn2212
boulangere

Cynthia is a trusted source on Bread/Baking.

added over 1 year ago

I burned the **** out of chocolate in the microwave about a year ago. Burning tires smell better. Simmering some orange slices with cinnamon will de-scent the house nicely. Suzanne's advice on cleaning the microwave works like a charm.

3-bizcard
sdebrango

Suzanne is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 1 year ago

Cinnamon and orange simmer, bet that smells delicious!! I can just imagine what the burnt chocolate smelled like.

Junechamp
ChefJune

June is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added over 1 year ago

I'm making a note of that cinnamon and orange. For when I have one of these disasters..... (#onlyamatteroftime)

Bigpan
added over 1 year ago

I recall reading a very sexist World War 2 cookbook where it suggested when the haried housewife was late in making dinner, start to saute some onions - when hubby comes home from his hard day in the office he will smell the onions and look forward to dinner while he relaxes...don't forget to have his slippers, newspaper, pipe and glass of scotch ready.

Default-small
added over 1 year ago

Whenever my microwave is dirty, I fill a bowl full of water and add tons of lemon slices then microwave it for 4-5 minutes. Let the bowl sit in the closed microwave for 10 minutes, then wipe off with paper towels. You could add cinnamon or something aromatic to disperse the smell through the house.