🔎

is there a use for fig leaves?

I have access while on vacation to a fig tree; I remember reading they can be used in cooking (stuffed?). How can they be used?

Dsc00859_2
Scarf
Louisa Shafia added 10 months ago

You can make stuffed fig leaves - just like stuffed grape leaves, aka dolmas. Here's one recipe: http://figfest.org/fig...

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 10 months ago

Thank you! my daughter and I picked several and brought them back on the plane.

Tony S added 10 months ago

You can use them like banana leaves as well- wrap around fish for grilling or steaming.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 10 months ago

Very interesting! Thank you for the idea. Looks like I will have a difficult decision ahead as to how to use them!

jsdunbar added 10 months ago

I presume you mean besides the obvious traditional use of the fig leaf!

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 10 months ago

I was afraid I'd raise a few eyebrows with my query.... :)

Mi Budare added 10 months ago

My mom uses it to favor food, like an herb. She makes green papaya preserve and she always puts a whole fig leave in the pot which she lays discard when it is done. It gives a nice flavor!

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 10 months ago

thanks for the idea, Todie. Is this a tart preparation or a sweet preserve? Coincidentally, at the airport I happened to buy a magazine that included a recipe for green papaya pickle; the fig leaves made it back home with me in good condition and ready to use.

Summer_2010_1048
Midge added 10 months ago

Would love to hear how you use them creamtea.

Mi Budare added 10 months ago

It is a sweet preparation. I have no idea how it will work with pickle green papaya.