🔔
🔎

Toaster oven for making toast?

Is there a toaster oven out there that makes really good toast? My husband thinks toast must be made in a toaster and I am inclined to agree with him, but I wonder if there exists such a wonderful toaster oven that can be used for making toast, thus eliminating the toaster altogether. Please post if you know of this magical device!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 1 year ago

I became so exasperated with faulty kitchen appliances that I gave up my toaster and toaster oven altogether. I've been making toast using the broiler in my oven for years and it works like a charm.

The toaster oven will have a larger counter top foot print.
Like your normal oven, you still have to watch it and flip it...which can be a pain in the...ahh...morning.

I've also found that quite a few toasters 'go bad' after a few years and start burning toast with faulty thermostats.

Toaster ovens are notorious for not doing a very good job at making toast. My cuisinart browns unevenly, flipping helps. I recall doing a search for a moderate priced one for my mother on Consumer Reports online subscription and tons were listed but the highest rating for the toasting feature was just so-so. So I don't have a specific rec for you but if you give me your price range I can take a look for you at the best recs they give. Maybe I will hop over now out of curiosity.

Toaster ovens are dorm type apts, places without a full oven, and people with a temporary kitchen.

I really can't see why to have one unless heat is an issue in your apt and you want to fire up a toaster oven instead of the big one.

Farmer's_market

There are certainly good reasons beyond dorms, or lack of real ovens. I only have a toaster (I like the ritual of the toast popping up,) but have considered replacing it with a toaster oven because I only have one 'real' oven - when doing a big meal (e.g., at a holiday) it would be very helpful to have a second, even small one. No space in my kitchen for an add'l wall oven or range with two ovens, nor funds for either. Also, with limited counter space, 1 combined appliance simply saves precious real estate. (This is typically not as big an issue in a larger suburban kitchen.) I'm not in the market for a toaster oven, but every holiday when I find myself strategizing how to juggle things in/out of my oven, I wonder why I don't just get one!

Jc_profilepic

Currently we have both a toaster and a toaster oven, and they are on their last legs. I'd rather get one appliance than two if possible, but I don't know if there is a toaster oven that makes good toast. I suspect the beauty of a toaster is the hot wires very close on both sides of the bread.
I really like having a toaster oven but it's not as essential as good toast.

I agree with the recommendation for the larger Breville. It does have a decent footprint but that also reduces the need to turn on the bigger oven and it often outdoes the regular oven in baking too. Definitely worth the money.

I plan to get a Breville to replace my current toaster oven. I find they last 10 years or more. That's all I've used to make toast for the last 3 decades at least. I also use it for baking & general oven cooking to save electricity when I'm not cooking a lot & in warm weather to keep the kitchen cooler. In really hot weather I plug it in outside. I wouldn't get a toaster because it only does toast.

Toaster ovens are a racket. Nothing you couldn't do with the broiler in your oven, a sheet pan you probably already own, or wire "cooling" rack- all used for many other purposes. Pull-eeze with the $300 toaster ovens.

I love my Breville. I've even baked bread in it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. It's probably just jealousy. But it does seem like a lot of money to replace a toaster and what you can already do with your oven.

Bigpan

After a few dozen years of different models, I think toaster ovens are an oxymoron. They don't toast properly and the oven function is more a burn oven than bake oven.
I prefer an old style pop up toaster for bread and my big oven for oven functions (realizing the cost factor which I can live with for a ten minute job).

Dsc00859_2

I love my new Breville. Haven't used all the functions yet, but it definitely makes great toast, also has a keep warm function, a convection feature, an automatic adjustment for frozen foods, a keep warm function, ability to bake, roast, etc., and a conversion from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. Having heated up my big oven for the past 9 years to make toast, this is a definite improvement.

The American Test Kitchen did an incredibly comprehensive toaster oven comparison a few years back. They rated models on evenness of toasting, speed of toasting etc. I have not been able to find it online- but refuse to make the commitment until I do. I grew up in a toaster oven- using home and want one in my own kitchen. My mother still uses the same Black & Decker (no longer in production) from my childhood. It's mounted under her top cabinets, wasting no counter space- dream!!!

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Here's the review, and it was the Breville that won out: http://www.cooksillustrated...

These toaster oven reviews by Good Housekeeping are over a year old but that's not uncommon with product reviews. Breville seems to be the consistent winner.
http://www.goodhousekeeping...

I would agree with some of the comments that Breville SmartOven is probably one of the best-rate toaster oven that is available out there. It has in fact received many positive reviews and this is just one of them (http://ovenreviewshq.com...).

However, does this make Breville SmartOven that magical device that we have all been longing for? I believe the answer is a No.

I mean, a full toaster oven like the Breville can certainly toast that morning sandwiches that we love to have in the morning. And with the convection feature, it can definitely do a more uniform toast compared to non-convection toaster oven.

But the problem is, will it be an overkill if you have to turn on your oven every morning just for preparing a sandwich? First, it takes time to heat up and second, it consumes much more power compared to a simple toaster. And unless you know the perfect setting, you might even end up with over-burnt sandwiches.

So IMHO, is there a magical device that can eliminate toaster altogether? Personally, I believe such device does not exist.

Dsc00859_2

Actually, no, you don't have to know the perfect setting. The Breville doesn't take long to heat up, it has a memory function, and you adjust for the number of slices and there is a "bagel" function too. It's extremely flexible and very user-friendly. It's great for me in the summer because my range overheats the kitchen. The Breville tells you via a digital screen how many minutes and seconds it has left to complete the function. I have one and I use it very frequently for many different functions, including baking the worlds' best brownies, defrosting, re-heating, keeping warm, etc. I can turn the convection feature on or off. But if you only want toast, then a toaster is probably your best bet. But, I imagine Sadassa made her decision by now...

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

The Breville sounds like a lovely device but truth be told, I have a bottom-of-the-line Black and Decker that's now 15 years old and must have cost about $22 when new. Idon't make toast every day but I've certainly used it hundreds and hundreds of times (a thousand times now?) and it works just fine.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Black & Decker used to make good appliances (ones that would actually last 15 years and do a good job), but they don't any longer, unfortunately.