🔎

• 17

• 2825

• See other questions tagged:
    • toaster

Toaster oven for making toast?

Is there a toaster oven out there that makes really good toast? My husband thinks toast must be made in a toaster and I am inclined to agree with him, but I wonder if there exists such a wonderful toaster oven that can be used for making toast, thus eliminating the toaster altogether. Please post if you know of this magical device!

Jc_profilepic
Trena added 10 months ago

I became so exasperated with faulty kitchen appliances that I gave up my toaster and toaster oven altogether. I've been making toast using the broiler in my oven for years and it works like a charm.

Sam1148 added 10 months ago

The toaster oven will have a larger counter top foot print.
Like your normal oven, you still have to watch it and flip it...which can be a pain in the...ahh...morning.

I've also found that quite a few toasters 'go bad' after a few years and start burning toast with faulty thermostats.

nutcakes added 10 months ago

Toaster ovens are notorious for not doing a very good job at making toast. My cuisinart browns unevenly, flipping helps. I recall doing a search for a moderate priced one for my mother on Consumer Reports online subscription and tons were listed but the highest rating for the toasting feature was just so-so. So I don't have a specific rec for you but if you give me your price range I can take a look for you at the best recs they give. Maybe I will hop over now out of curiosity.

nutcakes added 10 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The best recommended are the Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL $250 rated 72/100 and the Breville BOV650XL $180 69/100. For the other models they reviewed, ratings fall off sharply. For instance, the black&deckers are around 50/100.

Toasting is rated very good--"Unlike many toaster ovens, the Breville is also proficient at toasting, up to six slices per batch."

Also rated very good for baking and broiling and can hold a 4 lb chicken.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added 10 months ago

Thanks for posting this information; I need to start researching. I would rather spend more for an appliance that will last. As Sam points out toasters go bad quickly!

Sam1148 added 10 months ago

Toaster ovens are dorm type apts, places without a full oven, and people with a temporary kitchen.

I really can't see why to have one unless heat is an issue in your apt and you want to fire up a toaster oven instead of the big one.

amysarah added 10 months ago

There are certainly good reasons beyond dorms, or lack of real ovens. I only have a toaster (I like the ritual of the toast popping up,) but have considered replacing it with a toaster oven because I only have one 'real' oven - when doing a big meal (e.g., at a holiday) it would be very helpful to have a second, even small one. No space in my kitchen for an add'l wall oven or range with two ovens, nor funds for either. Also, with limited counter space, 1 combined appliance simply saves precious real estate. (This is typically not as big an issue in a larger suburban kitchen.) I'm not in the market for a toaster oven, but every holiday when I find myself strategizing how to juggle things in/out of my oven, I wonder why I don't just get one!

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added 10 months ago

Currently we have both a toaster and a toaster oven, and they are on their last legs. I'd rather get one appliance than two if possible, but I don't know if there is a toaster oven that makes good toast. I suspect the beauty of a toaster is the hot wires very close on both sides of the bread.
I really like having a toaster oven but it's not as essential as good toast.

karen06 added 10 months ago

I agree with the recommendation for the larger Breville. It does have a decent footprint but that also reduces the need to turn on the bigger oven and it often outdoes the regular oven in baking too. Definitely worth the money.

jsdunbar added 10 months ago

I plan to get a Breville to replace my current toaster oven. I find they last 10 years or more. That's all I've used to make toast for the last 3 decades at least. I also use it for baking & general oven cooking to save electricity when I'm not cooking a lot & in warm weather to keep the kitchen cooler. In really hot weather I plug it in outside. I wouldn't get a toaster because it only does toast.

Pegeen added 10 months ago

Toaster ovens are a racket. Nothing you couldn't do with the broiler in your oven, a sheet pan you probably already own, or wire "cooling" rack- all used for many other purposes. Pull-eeze with the $300 toaster ovens.

Stephanie G added 10 months ago

I love my Breville. I've even baked bread in it.

Pegeen added 10 months ago

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. It's probably just jealousy. But it does seem like a lot of money to replace a toaster and what you can already do with your oven.

Bigpan
bigpan added 10 months ago

After a few dozen years of different models, I think toaster ovens are an oxymoron. They don't toast properly and the oven function is more a burn oven than bake oven.
I prefer an old style pop up toaster for bread and my big oven for oven functions (realizing the cost factor which I can live with for a ten minute job).

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 10 months ago

I love my new Breville. Haven't used all the functions yet, but it definitely makes great toast, also has a keep warm function, a convection feature, an automatic adjustment for frozen foods, a keep warm function, ability to bake, roast, etc., and a conversion from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. Having heated up my big oven for the past 9 years to make toast, this is a definite improvement.

Alicia,Sullivan added 10 months ago

The American Test Kitchen did an incredibly comprehensive toaster oven comparison a few years back. They rated models on evenness of toasting, speed of toasting etc. I have not been able to find it online- but refuse to make the commitment until I do. I grew up in a toaster oven- using home and want one in my own kitchen. My mother still uses the same Black & Decker (no longer in production) from my childhood. It's mounted under her top cabinets, wasting no counter space- dream!!!

Pegeen added 10 months ago

These toaster oven reviews by Good Housekeeping are over a year old but that's not uncommon with product reviews. Breville seems to be the consistent winner.
http://www.goodhousekeeping...