Uses for unripe grapes

I brought back several bunches of sour, fresh grapes from a Persian store in L.A. How can I use them? Can I make verjus without a juicer (I have a food processor)?

asked by creamtea about 1 year ago

My juicer recently stopped spitting out the juice for some reason and I put the soupy glop in a chinois and worked it to death with a curved rounded scraper....worked fine, though way less easy.

Baci1

The verjus sounds great and you really need a juicer. I would pulverize in the food processor and then squeeze out the juice into a sieve or through cheesecloth. It's a bit more work, but it's not hard. You can also try juicing through a food mill, if you have one of those.

Baci1

Baci1

Sorry that should be "you really don't need a juicer".

And I wanted to also suggest making jelly with the grapes. I find that tart fruit makes a superior jam/jelly/preserve. The sourness gives the product a nice complexity, tempering the sweetness of sugar.

If they are seedless I would preserve them :)
What better than this?specially for unripe grapes.

P1291120

I had never heard of preserving (pickling) grapes, but just googled and now have a project for the weekend! Totally psyched! Thanks KatiaD!

Flower-bee

You don't want to put grapes in a juicer. The seeds are very hard and can easily jam it when they reach the sieve section. They are also bitter, and the skins are quite tannic when unripe. The ideal way to go, and the closest to the original wine press, would be a food mill.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet