Can I grill frozen pork chops? If so, how is it different?

asked by awyma about 1 year ago
Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

i'm afraid putting frozen pork chops directly on a grill is not going to work. how soon do you need to grill them? you can defrost overnight in the fridge or in a bag in a bowl with cold tap water running on it. running hot water over an extended period of time is not a good idea because of food-borne illness issues.

Waffle3

Yes you can cook them frozen. Obviously it will take a little longer, but not as much as you might think.

Consider how quickly a steak right out of the refrigerator goes from 40F to 130F over a bed of hot coals, a gain of 90 degrees. Starting at 0F doesn't even constitute a 50% difference.

But Chef, won't you also have ice water dripping down on your coals cooling off your fire? My own method would be do an overnight defrost and then allow the chops to come back up to close to room temperature. I admit I've never slapped a frozen one directly over a hot grill before.

Waffle3

Charcoal burning at over 2000F doesn't much care about a few drips at any temperature.

Image

If they are very thick cuts, I would wait for them to defrost. But if you think they're okay to grill, you can always sear it on the grill first, then reduce the heat or put it in indirect heat.

Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

microwave is also a great defrost method; they usually have a defrost setting. also, i agree with pierino that bringing the meat up to room temp before cooking is a good idea, and the microwave defrost could take care of that as well. hope it all works out!!