A question about a recipe: Brooke Dojny's Blueberry Snack Cake with Toasted Pecan Topping

Food52_07-10-12-0641

I have a question about the recipe "Brooke Dojny's Blueberry Snack Cake with Toasted Pecan Topping" from Genius Recipes. Can you use buttermilk in place of regular or lowfat milk?

asked by Pattya about 1 year ago
3-bizcard

You may have to add some baking soda along with the baking powder. I am not an expert on ratio's maybe someone else will see this who knows. The recipe only calls for 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp baking powder. I read that you are supposed to reduce the baking powder and add in the same amount of baking soda when subbing buttermilk for sweet milk. In this case I don't know how much

Jc_profilepic

Found this online: "For each cup of buttermilk used in place of sweet milk, reduce the amount of baking powder by 2 teaspoons, and replace with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda."
Therefore you would use 1/3 teaspoon baking powder and 1/6 tsp. baking soda with the 1/3 cup buttermilk. I would try it - buttermilk makes everything better in my opinion!

Kroka_kitchen

Thank you, Sadassa_Ulna, for these precise adjustments. I used them when I substituted buttermilk for milk and it worked perfectly.