A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

Food52_01-10-12-6879

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Homemade Ricotta" from Jennifer Perillo. is it possible to make it with reduced fat milk (thats all we buy) rather than full fat milk?

asked by adele93 about 1 year ago
Baci1

Yes, you can, but it will not be as rich and creamy. And I'm assuming you will be including the cream. You can still make the ricotta with just the milk, but it will be dry and coarse.

I make a ricotta cheese using whole milk, kosher salt, and lemon juice. Bring a 1/2 gallon whole milk and 1 tsp. kosher salt to a boil over medium heat, stir frequently. When it begins to boil, quickly turn heat to low and add 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir for 2 minutes while the curds form. Strain in a colander with cheesecloth. This makes very good ricotta cheese with no cream for those of us who are on diets low in saturated fat. Enjoy!