🔎

• 7

• 662

Any suggestions for what to do with rose hips? We have a bumper crop of beach roses.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 10 months ago

They make a very lovely jelly. I also like to dry them and use them in homemade tea blends. You might even try powdering the dried hips and using this powder instead of sumac or citrus. Could be a nice garnish.

Lost_in_NYC added 10 months ago

Use them dry to garnish or decorate drinks, cakes/desserts, etc. You could even make a rose flavored simple syrup for drinks/desserts as well too.

Tashipluto added 10 months ago

So, when you both mentioned "dried" -- do you know how long it takes to dry them? Do I just pick them and set them out in the sun?

Ooooooh, Lost in NYC and I are on the very same page. I'd suggest making a simple syrup concentrate to freeze. The typical formula for simple syrup is equal parts by weight of sugar and water. If you don't have a scale, know that 1 level cup of granulated sugar weighs 7 ounces. In a liquid measuring cup, clearly 1 cup equals 8 fluid ounces. Therefore, 8 ounces of water containing (rounding up) 1 1/8 cups of sugar , brought to a boil, will give you simple syrup. Drop a handful of your beautiful rose hips into the solution as it is heating, and more's the better. After it has come to the boil, remove the pot from the heat and let the rose hips steep for a good 15 minutes. Afterwards, strain the solution and discard the rose hips and pour the solution into ice cube trays and freeze. Once the cubes are solid, turn them out into ziplock bags and store them for interesting projects.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added 10 months ago

I am with petitbleu, rosehip preserves are magical. You could also make syrup or juice.

Photo(7)

Rebecca is a recipe tester for Food52.

i've really been enjoying d'arbo rosehip fruit spread... have been wishing for access to rosehips to make my own, you're lucky! if i had some i would probably try that, the simple syrup already mentioned, plus a shrub and a granita (no recipes on hand, i just sort of adapt to whatever i'm doing). i think the tartness and color would serve well for those last two. good luck!

Tashipluto added 10 months ago

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try the syrup!