🔔
🔎

Am making a lot of pesto from a bumper crop of Basil. Freezing some in small amounts for later use.

Besides stirring it into tomato sauce and into pasta, what other ways can we enjoy this. I love Basil Pesto but have little knowledge of how to serve it.

asked by Adianne over 1 year ago
Coconut-panna-cotta-small-for-web

It is great on pizza dough topped with cheese instead of tomato sauce. I also love spreading pesto on fish fillets, sprinkling with parmesan and then baking it in the oven.

Baci1

What I usually use for basil pesto:
-sandwich spread. it's dynamite in a caprese sandwich & a turkey club
-dip. mix with mayo & sour cream, serve with chips, vegetable crudites,crackers
-mix with cream cheese for bagels, sandwiches
-spread on top of focaccio dough and bake for a variation.
-mix a spoonful into a minestrone or any vegetable soup

Baci1

Forgot one of my favs. Mix pesto with ground turkey. Makes a very moist and flavorful meatloaf or meatballs.

In omelets, on chicken breasts or under chicken skin before baking. Wish I had some!

On toasted mixed nuts. I use it in my homemade chicken meatballs or in a burger. Basically anything that you would add an Italian seasoning to.

Junechamp

I wouldn't think of putting it in tomato sauce. It stands so well on its own. Makes a great filling for chicken breast roulades, a lovely topping for grilled or broiled fish, delicious as bruschetta topping. The French stir Pistou (pesto without the pine nuts) into bean and vegetable soup and call it "Soupe au Pistou." It's wonderful.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

On sandwiches (especially roasted beet and goat cheese sandwiches), tossed with cooked grains (wheat berries, couscous, farro...), under the skin of a chicken you plan to roast, in frittatas and quiches, spread over the bottom of a pie crust to be used for savory pies, in bean dishes, over risotto or polenta, in mashed potatoes or even baked ones, in salad dressings...essentially, pesto is great in a huge range of dishes. It will infuse summer's flavor into many wintry dishes.

I always add "pesto cube" from the freezer to all my stir fried or sautéed veggies. Also makes a great dip with mixed with plain greek yogurt. Also - a good way to freeze pesto is in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, move to a quart size storage bag. When you need some pesto, one or two cubes is usually the perfect portion.

Farmer's_market

A 'white' lasagna - no tomato sauce, just bechamel, mozzarella, pecorino and parmesan - is very nice with a drizzle of pesto between the layers.

I know you said you were tired of it with tomato sauce but let me give you 2 quickies:
1) pesto & tomato paste dotted on a pizza crust then swirled together for the sauce
2)brown chicken pieces, with or without sliced onions & mushrooms, the add equal parts pesto & tomato paste, & some red wine, enough for flavour plus thinning the sauce. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is done.

Open-uri20140705-30619-1wneynk

I love putting it on a hot open faced sandwich. Spread on toast, top with some red onions and bell peppers, heat under the broiler for a moment.

a brick of cream cheese, spread a thick layer of sundried tomato Top a cream cheese brick with sun dried tomato pesto and then top it with the same thickness of basil pesto. Great on artisan bread or crackers. Caution: high calorie, but delicious.