🔔
🔎

I made Jim Leahey's no knead pizza dough last week and stored in ziplocks in the fridge for at least 5 days-- is it safe to eatt?

The recipe says to use within three days, but I just baked the last two crusts today. I'm not sure how long it has been, probably five or six days. The crust has a more sour flavor but still tastes pretty good. When I took it out of the fridge it was wet and very malleable. Is the three day limit a food safety issue or a guideline for ideal flavor?

asked by clintonhillbilly over 1 year ago

It is not a safety issue. I make a bucket bread dough that I keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If I make a batch of bread from it within the first few days, it works great, but has a rather insipid flavor. At days 7-10, the rise is beautiful and the flavor is full. By day 12-14, it doesn't rise quite as well, but the flavor is so rich with a distinct sourdough tang. I would use the 3 day limit is a guideline, not a strict rule.

The best way to store pizza dough would be to freeze the dough in an oiled ziplock bag (up to 3 months). After a few days in the fridge, your dough would have had too long of a fermentation period which is why it will taste super sour and also not have much "oven spring". It is still safe to eat, I recommend reshaping it into a large flat bread, add a bunch of zatar and olive oil on top and enjoy it that way... 500 deg oven for 15-20 mins will do it.