🔎

Make pop tarts at home?

Kastcoverimage2
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Smitten Kitchen has a recipe I've never made but would trust
http://smittenkitchen.com...

Lisa Luther added 8 months ago

William-Sonoma sells a cookie cutter in the exact shape of a pop tart..I make a all butter pie crust,roll it out very thin and put a scant tablespoon of a thick good quality jam in the center.If you fill them with real fresh fruit or jam that is not thick enough it tends to bubble out when baking.Seal the edges well ,brush tops with egg wash and then sprinkle with sanding sugar.

Img_1860-001
rengahan added 8 months ago

The Smitten Kitchen pop tart recipe is the way to go if you are doing it at home. It is thousands of times better than what you can get at the grocery store, and it's easy as pie. After all, pop tarts are hand pies.

tiffanylee added 8 months ago

I made my kids pop tarts from all butter pie dough rolled thin and foiled with Nutella , my kids loved them. They preferred the Nutella ones over those filled with homemade peach jam. I also made some with hot fudge ice cream topping my kids really liked those too. Fiddilly and time consuming but worth the effort.