🔎

can you make whipped cream with whole milk and a whisk or fork

heavy cream is too expensive for my family to afford, and all i have is whole milk, if it is possible to make whipped cream with whole milk, please find me a recipe or tell me how.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Never tried this but found an option on chow.com (http://chowhound.chow.com...
"add two tablespoons of nonfat dry milk powder to a cup of low- or nonfat cottage cheese and whirr in a blender for four or five minutes. This heavy cream substitute works in a surprising number of recipes. And you can even whip it. It doesn't form stiff peaks, but it does form soft ones. I made a rhubarb fool with this substitute recently (using nonfat cottage cheese) and I'm not sure I would have known the difference if I hadn't made it myself.

lloreen added 7 months ago

I don't think it will have enough fat content to whip. But you can make delicious home made yoghurt out of your whole milk and add honey or fruit puree for a great, rich dessert! All you need is a starter culture (one mini plain yoghurt with active cultures).

Haydee added 7 months ago

Hola lloreen... Can you tell us how to make it ;o) It sounds really yummy ;o)~ Thanks!

PazzoNico added 7 months ago

You can also make "ricotta" with some plain old vinegar or lemon juice.

Junechamp

I remember trying that once when I was MUCH younger. It didn't work then, and I'm pretty sure it won't work now. Heavy cream does come in small containers, and perhaps you can swing for one of those to give you the luxurious topping for your dessert? You didn't mention what you were using it for, so it's hard to suggest something that might fill in other than the real thing.

amysarah added 7 months ago

Not sure if this helps, but if you can swing a small (8 oz.) container of heavy cream - around here, usually about $1.50 in supermarket, but sometimes on sale for closer to $1 - it will whip up to yield a much greater volume. Don't know exact amount, but I'd guess around 3 times the amount.

Junechamp

FWIW, if you're a novice at whipping with a whisk, you'll achieve much better volume if you use an electric mixer -- even a hand-held model.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

yup, you can't make whipped cream out of whole milk, sadly. but you CAN make frothed milk. Heat till steamy, then either whisk the hell out of it, or stick it in a milk frother thingy, or pour it really fast from one vessel to another. Spoon onto your hot beverage of choice. You can also do this with chocolate milk, because CHOCOLATE.

If you do ever splurge for the cream, chill your cream, bowl and beaters till very cold. Then whip it. Whip it good. I found this really cool video showing Simon Hopkinson whipping his cream with an ice cube-filled whisk - such a cool idea! I tried it but my cubes are the half-elipse kind and they came flying out of the whisk. That was fun. not.

Pegeen added 7 months ago

Love your description of testing the hack of ice cubes inside beater whisks. Flying ice cubes! Funny, but I'm sure not.

Mrs._larkin_370

woops here it is. http://youtu.be/m-yTIWLndMQ...

irinaleibo added 7 months ago

You can whip 1/2 & 1/2 if you have any of that. Comes out very well. It is important to chill the whisk and bowl first.
Good luck!
irina

Jenny Maria added 7 months ago

If you have a Bamix stickblender you Can make form of nonfat milk, but since a Bamix is quite expencive ( in Denmark ), I gusse you do'nt have one

Scan0004
susan g added 7 months ago

I remember trying evaporated milk (canned) as a whipping cream substitute. Sure enough, it's online -- here's one, with photos. Easy to do and should be economical. http://www.wikihow.com...