🔔
🔎

Salad dressing recipes

I want to start making my own salad dressings, in small quantities. Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share?

asked by Gloria Sepulveda over 1 year ago

Vinaigrettes are fun and easy to make. I usually do 1 part balsamic to 2 parts oil (I like mine really really sharp), and add a little mustard and honey. But you can add almost anything -juice, leftover jam. You should also search the website, you'll find a million different flavor combos.

This lime-chive cream is one of my favorite dressings on this site: http://food52.com/recipes...

There is absolutely no reason to buy vinaigrette in a bottle because it's incredibly easy to make. Here's one that uses a French purple mustard http://food52.com/recipes... It works just fine on a green salad. The "moutarde violette" is available through Zingermans. Keep in mind that the mustard is your emulsifying agent.
Caesar and ranch dressings are also very easy to make.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

This site offers lots of great salad dressings/vinaigrette's. If you click on "Column" and then look down for "Small Batch". There's two recipes off the top of my head for Green Goddess Dressing and Ranch Dressing. Also, this vinaigrette was a contest winner, http://food52.com/recipes...

Another easy way to find dressings here is to type "salad" in the search box, choose "In Recipes" from the pull-down menu, and search. Lots of salads will come up that all have different types of dressings.

Stringio

Thank you so much for all of the responses!

There are plenty of dressings. And I'm breaking with the crowd here because sometimes I just want a quick easy dressing for two people without having to makes cups of it.

My weapon of choice: Cavender's Greek Seasoning.
Make a base of Cavender's, olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice. Herbs/salt pepper. Powdered mustard to help emulsify it.

That's a basic Vinaigrette or Italian dressing.

From there you can use that base to mimic most dressings:
For Ranch add mayo and more cavender's garlic powder. Parsley flakes. And a bit of water and sour cream.
For Thousand Island: Add mayo/sour cream and ketchup. and chopped pickels either sweet pickels or dill relash. and a touch of sugar.
For Catalina: Sugar, ketchup or tomato paste and more oil. Garlic powder.
Blue Cheese: go for ranch...but dont' any more spice..and add blue cheese at the end.
This for my "I just want dressing" not for big impressive fresh herbs and glammer shot dressing.

Skprof

I almost always forget to buy salad dressing and I usually realize it as I'm packing my lunch early in the mornings. I'll usually take one of those tiny tupperware containers, you know the ones that you wonder what on earth you'll even fit in them? Put 3 parts oil, really good olive oil, and 1 part balsamic vinegar. I'll usually add salt and pepper, and depending on my mood I'll add either fresh minced garlic or garlic powder, pop on the top of the container and stuff it in my lunch box. You can just shake it aggressively when you're ready to eat!