🔎

• 11

• 26925

What makes a good substitute for ricotta salata? My recipe only uses it as a topping after the dish is complete, if that makes any difference... Thanks, picklers!

OpEdible added over 3 years ago

I would use Mizithra or feta. Ricotta salata is a salty, white, crumbly cheese. I hope you can find it next time.

Kay_at_lake
Kayb added over 3 years ago

Queso fresco, the Mexican crumbling cheese, also works well. You can use chevre if you want the additional tang it brings. I've used queso fresco interchangable with feta and ricotta salata often, though.

phyllis added over 3 years ago

I use Feta or Queso Fresco when I can't find ricotta salata. Both work, as does goat cheese. You want the crumble/salt/tang.

Lnd_jen
lastnightsdinner added over 3 years ago

I've always got a wedge of Pecorino Romano in the fridge, so that's my go-to substitute for other dry, salty cheeses.

I will politely disagree with the queso fresco recommendation. It doesn't go terribly well with Italian dishes and can be hard to find if you don't live in California or the Southwest. Pecorino romano is a good suggestion or pecorino sardo (although that could be even harder to find). The Mizithra idea is not a bad one.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Yes, I agree with the pecorino - similar saltiness.

Denille Campbell added over 2 years ago

I don't quite understand. Is there not a high similarity with the plain ricotta? Can't you squeeze out all the fluids and use it? If it's the saltiness, can't you use more? I need more information.

Denille Campbell added over 2 years ago

phyllis added over 2 years ago

Ricotta Salata is semi-hard, salty, crumbly and somewhat tangy. Regular ricotta is very soft, and not very salty or tangy. One wants to crumble, like feta. Can't dobthatcwith ricotta cheese. What other information are you missing?

amysarah added over 2 years ago

Feta is always easy to find and has the right saltiness and crumbly texture.

Re: Queso Fresco - as noted above, it may not be right for an Italian dish (though it doesn't specify that this is an Italian recipe - I've seen Ricotta Salata used in dishes that aren't strictly Italian) - but anyway, no doubt it's easier to find on the West Coast, but it's still not too hard on the East Coast either... I see it all over the place here.I imagine it's available any place that has a significant Mexican or Latino population.

NancyML added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

My first choice would be cojita, a Mexican cheese very similar to ricotta salata. Second would be a mild feta.