🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: No-Knead Sandwich Bread

I have a question about the recipe "No-Knead Sandwich Bread" from Carey Nershi. I would like to find a non-disposable alternative to plastic wrap for when the dough goes into the fridge. Can I just put in a storage container, or does it need to have contact with some material to keep it from drying out/forming skin?

asked by vvvanessa about 1 year ago

I have used a dry and clean wash/dish cloth without problems when working with bread dough (rising for 1-3 hours), and also pizza dough.

By non-disposable, do you mean reusable? Sure, put it in a storage container with a lid, and also be sure to lightly oil the surface of the dough before refrigerating it.

Junechamp

Long before disposable wraps were around, bakers put their dough to rise either in a lined basket or a large mixing bowl and covered them with a tea towel. Still works. :)

Junechamp

oops! Forgot to mention that the reason I wouldn't like a closed container for rising bread, it that would limit the dough's capacity to rise. A "lid" that rises with the dough gives it more room to express itself.

Dsc00426

Thanks, everyone. I use a dish towel for the risings, but my question is more along the lines of longer-term storage in the fridge. The author of the recipe says the dough can be stored for a couple of weeks, and I wonder if it will suffer from not being very tightly wrapped (even though I don't really intend to leave it for more than a few days). I'll try the storage container and brushing the surface of the dough with oil, which totally makes sense in terms of keeping the dough from drying out.