🔎

• 11

• 2354

• See other questions tagged:
    • baking
How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

If I have fresh coconut in the house I peel and grate and freeze it. I'll use various kinds of graters to give me a small spectrum of grate sizes, because I like multiple textures when I use coconut. I freeze it because it goes rancid very very quickly. Alternatively, if you have a juice extractor, fresh coconut milk is exquisite -- but, again, I freeze it right away, or keep it on ice. The "easiest" recipe would be putting it in pancakes/waffles/muffins, or toasting it in a 200-300F oven and using coconut to garnish cupcakes/muffins/granola. I use a fair amount of coconut everything (flour/oil/shredded) in my gluten-free baking because it adds richness and depth, without extra dairy.

spicysiciliangourmet added 7 months ago

Was worried about it going bad quickly but wasn't sure about freezing; I'll def do that. Thanks so much!

Sam1148 added 7 months ago

Coconut fried shrimp...make your basic batter for shrimp and as a final step roll it in coconut.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 7 months ago

I love making a fresh coconut slaw with grated fresh coconut, lime juice, a jalapeƱo or two, scallions, and cilantro. You could go Thai with it and add fish sauce and a little palm sugar, too.

spicysiciliangourmet added 7 months ago

Omg, this sounds fantastic!! Just the type of easy yet elegant recipe I was going for! And I have all those ingred in house on a reg basis, so thank you SO much! Can't wait to try this once I thaw all that coconut!!

Screen_shot_2013-04-12_at_12.45.52_pm
Lemongrass&Lime added 7 months ago

Sliced fresh and tossed with cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, basil, lime and a little olive oil and chili. Jamie Oliver recipe from years ago. A lovely fresh accompaniment to grilled fish or curry.

spicysiciliangourmet added 7 months ago

Another great idea--thx for sharing!!

Mirandamom added 3 months ago

Coconut chutney:
6 oz. grated fresh coconut
2-3 serrano chiles, minced
1/2 c. cashews (raw or roasted, your choice)
1" piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
salt to taste
vegetable broth

Puree coconut, chiles, cashews and ginger in a food processor until cashews are no longer chunky. Add salt to taste and decide if you'd like a few splashes of broth to loosen the consistency.

dymnyno added 3 months ago

I love the coconut candy that I have found sold on roadsides in Hawaii. Simple candied coconut slices.

ATG117 added 3 months ago

Where does one find coconuts in the ny area during this time of year?

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added 3 months ago

grate and toast it and put over vanilla ice cream dress with warm maple syrup. very fantastic for so simple!