Photo_for_web

The soup came out delicious!

Scan0004

Did you use only bean stock, or did you dilute it with water or another stock?

Stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. She also raises olives and makes oil in Tuscany, providing firsthand experience for her forthcoming book about olive oil.

Exactly what I would have said to do--the bean stock will give great richness of flavor and, of course, make a soup that's terrific for vegetarians.

Fsm

I was just reading in The Book of Miso that bean stock can go off quickly in warm weather. http://books.google.ca... It made me think of this thread, so I thought I would share what it says.

"From November until early April, soybean cooking liquid gives excellent results and helps make full use of the soybean nutrients. However, if the miso is prepared during the warm half of the year, water should be used since the soybean cooking liquid may encourage spoilage."

Keep in mind, this passage is talking about soy bean liquid, specifically for miso making, but it states elsewhere in the book that it applies to most beans and other applications (fermented and non-fermented) of the bean water.

My interpretation is that if you are using the bean liquid right away, then there isn't any problem, but one should be careful if storing it for more than a day in warm weather. Or if you do store it, cook it before you eat it.

Stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Bean stock, like any stock, should always be refrigerated unless it is to be used right away.

Fsm

Good point, glad you brought it up. I agree that these days, one should always use a fridge for storing this kind of liquid.

1) our immune system generally isn't as strong as our ancestors and cannot handle the bacterial overload and
2) the knowledge to store this safely without canning or refrigeration is all but extinct in North America.