🔎

Open-uri20130207-28826-17f2oyg-0

Virginia Willis is a chef, food writer, culinary TV producer, professional recipe developer, and author. Her latest book, Basic to Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Companywas rated as one of the top rated cookbooks of 2011.

Voted the Best Answer!

Susan - I am afraid that keeping fried chicken crispy if made very far in advance is pretty challenging. The key will be the recipe. I'd suggest brining the chicken in buttermilk then coating it an egg wash then in seasoned self-rising flour. The egg, buttermilk, and baking powder in the flour will make the chicken extra crispy. Then, you might be able to buy an hour or so if you place the cooked chicken on a rack placed a rimmed baking sheet in a low temperature oven. Give it a test run before the actual party and good luck! And, worst case scenario, your guests will be thrilled with homemade fried chicken - crispy or not -- because not-super-crispy fried chicken is still fried chicken! Virginia Willis