What could be a substitute for the coconut that would still make this pie gluten free? http://food52.com/recipes/24716-raw-vegan-pecan-pie

asked by Bevi 10 months ago
P1291120

With a disclaimer that I've never made this recipe, looking at it, I'm thinking the coconut is for texture and stickiness (to help hold all those nuts together). With that in mind, I wouldn't worry about texture but would increase the dates by the 1/4 cup of coconut you won't be using to make sure the overall crust had adequate stickiness to hold together.

Cakes

Thanks, SeaJambon. Do you have a recommendation for the crust to replace te coconut oil? Maybe vegetable oil?

P1291120

I suspect that any just about any vegetable oil (safflower is always my favorite) would work, since the recipe is asking for "melted".

Cakes

Thanks for your help, SJ.

There is NO gluten in coconut... Gluten is associated with wheat flours... Google " gluten" and you will understand when you have to be concerned about whether there could possibly be an issue with ingredients

Cakes

The person for whom I am making this pie does not like coconut - it's a taste preference concerning the coconut.

You might try googling coconut substitutes....