A question about a recipe: Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Food52_12-04-12-0399

I have a question about the recipe "Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Merrill Stubbs. A few questions: How much fresh ginger should I sub for the ground? I'm out of granulated sugar (it does happen), can I sub brown sugar, will I be harming the texture, need I make other ratio adjustments? Finally, whats the best way to store these for Thursday eve?

asked by ATG117 8 months ago
Junechamp

I'm not Merrill, nor have I made this recipe, but I've made several million cookies in my life... I don't think fresh ginger is an acceptable substitute for ground ginger in this recipe. They are two completely different products. Different flavors, different textures, not at all the same thing. Second: you can always sub brown sugar for white, but remember you will be creating a completely different cookie. Brown sugar is loaded with molasses, and gives a very different flavor. As well, it has a fairly high moisture content compared with granulated sugar, so you may need to adjust the liquid in the recipe.
I always recommend a baker follow the recipe exactly the first time, before trying to adapt. Otherwise you have no idea what the creator of the recipe intended the finished product to taste like.

Thanks!