🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Spinach Gratin

9094917256_56a919a250_z

I have a question about the recipe "Spinach Gratin" from Lizthechef. what is a good substitute for gruyere cheese?

asked by Sabine Gagnon about 1 year ago
Monita_photo

Swiss cheese could work as a sub

Yes, "swiss cheese" is almost the same thing. But what's the difficulty with gruyere?

Junechamp

Gruyere is a type of Swiss cheese (it's actually FROM Switzerland). There are a number of other Swiss cheeses, but none besides Comte comes close to the richness and depth of flavor of Gruyere. Although you could substitute another Swiss, or maybe even another cheese altogether, I'd make it first with the Gruyere. Or you'll never know what you're missing!

Baci1

You could probably use an Emmentaler, which is another Swiss cheese.

Cheeses, generically called Berg Käse (mountain cheeses) produced in the German and Austrian Alps would be a fine substitute. They have a good flavor and the consistency is similar to Gruyere. I don’t know what brands you would find in your region, but I know I’ve seen some sold in the US.

Open-uri20130324-1707-1mh5s86-0

Thank you, everybody! I currently live in Spain and have had a hard time, surprisingly, finding Gruyere. I will dig some more to find it but if I can't, I will most definitely follow your recommendations!

Ah! Spain. You might consider an Idiazabal although it's sheep's milk cheese and not cow milk. I think it will work.

Baci1

Maybe you can use mahon cheese?

And Mahon is a cow's milk cheese (although sometimes they give it a funky color). But as this dish is a spinach gratin the specific cheese apart from texture is probably not terribly important to its success.

Open-uri20130324-1707-1mh5s86-0

I can now sleep at night! I found Gruyere in one grocery store here! I squeeled in delight upon seeing it and had to refrain from hugging the charcuterie counter attendant. I also found some French made Comte. I bought both to try them out separately. I can't thank you all enough for all of the recommendations! Now, off I go to construct this heavenly spinach gratin!

Brava!