🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries

120710f_463

I have a question about the recipe "Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries" from TheRunawaySpoon. Is there a certain type of blue cheese that is recommended for this recipe?

asked by Nomnomnom about 1 year ago
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I plan on making these for the 1st time to bring as a hostess gift for my MIL for x-mas presented in a mason job. Maybe these would work? The reviews are amazing. Check the comments for more info. http://food52.com/recipes...

Hi Lambchop, that is the recipe I was planning to make. Just wondering of there is a specific type of blue cheese that would work better for these. I read many of the comments, but there are now over 150--clearly a good sign!--I've not read each and every one. Just thinking that perhaps someone who has made them before can suggest what direction to go. Some are more creamy/buttery and others are drier. Thanks!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I responded to the wrong hotline question but your question is a good one. I read from the comments gorgonzola, stilton and general blue cheese. I'm thinking with sweetness with the fig jam (which I have in the house) an assertive blue cheese, but I'm unsure. Looking forward to any responses for suggestions. I may check out Runawayspoon's blog or ask the person at Whole Foods (live less than a mile from one), or better yet my local cheese shop what they recommend.

Very kind of you! My thought was that the variety of cheese used could affect how delicate the finished product is. I noticed several comments mentioning that theirs were very delicate probe to crumbling). Thanks for your input!

Farmer's_market

I haven't made this particular recipe, but do make a couple very similar ones. I usually use Stilton - lots of flavor and goes well with jammy fruity things.

Thanks amysarah! That makes sense too. Fruit + stilton = yum.

Cowgirl Creamery makes my favorite!

I found the answer in the photos on the recipe page. There is some text from A&M on one image which says to use "a good, firm blue cheese -- nothing too creamy, or the dough will be sticky." Good to know!

Lucky you! I've made these (they are delicious!) and I agree that a more crumbly cheese is better. You might play with the thinness before you bake up a whole sheet pan worth. I rolled out a thinner dough because I wanted a crisper bite... but I ended up having to eat most of my first batch because they shattered. Darn the luck.

Yes, darn the luck! Not too thin seems the way to go since there's no egg in the dough for binding. I am thinking they should also be fully cooled before transferring, not rushed as I normally try to do. Details, details! Thanks for your input!!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Ty nomnomnom! Cant wait to make these! Let me know if you come across any additional helpful hints.

Likewise, Lambchop! With all the anticipation I hope they turn out for both of us. Cheers and happy holiday!