How many pounds of potatoes do I need to make latkes for 12 people?

asked 9 months ago
Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Melissa Clark says 2 russet potatoes makes thirty six latkes, so I would say 6 russet potatoes for 12 people. A little extra because the recipe always seems to make a few less than it says and because it's better to have too many than too few. I'm making latkes tonight, too, Happy Hanukkah!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

that number of potatoes to yields 36 latkes seems low to me. I shred my potatoes though, not grate them and are approx. 4 in. circumference. Also, my family are latke fiends, eating more than 1-2 per person.

400584_2795982053875_1473082837_n_(1)

Thanks Meg! Happy Hanukkah!

2 russet potatoes makes thirty six latkes? That sounds like a lot of latkes from 2 potatoes. A smitten kitchen recipe notes that she gets 12 small latkes per 1 potato , 1 small onion, 1 egg and 1/4c flour. That seems more on the mark to me. For regular size latkes, thats probbly six per potato. If latkes are the star of the night, I would guess somewhere around 10 potatoes. Can't run out of latkes...
potatoes for 12 pple, especially since you can't run out of latkes.

Image

My dziadek use to make the best latkes, I could never get the as thin as he.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Aack! I went back to the recipe and Melissa Clark's recipe makes 16-20 latkes, starting with 2 large russet potatoes, about one lb. And my dinner tonight starts with latkes, followed by flanken and polenta... so it all depends.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Your right Meg, it depends. I've been making latkes for 2 weeks for different gatherings and I've found that organic russets are smaller than regular Idaho potatoes. Size does matter. : )

Dsc00731

Hello! I made latkes tonight and used 4 lbs of potatoes to make latkes measuring about 3-inches each. I didn't count how many latkes the batch yielded but it fed three adults and one toddler plus leftovers. I also have to mention that we had the latkes as a main course with two salads as sides. I suppose you would have to faactor in whether you'll be serving the latkes as a main.

Junechamp

I was just about to say that it all depends on whether the latkes ARE the meal, or are PART of the meal.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I used 8 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes and it served 6 adults. We devoured all of them even though we had lots of other good food.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.