🔎

A question about a recipe: Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie

I have a question about the recipe "Black Bottom Oatmeal Pie" from ElsenEM. How long should I partially prebake the crust?

Black_bottom_oatmeal_pie
2013-09-09_13.45.37
Eliz. added 5 months ago

In general, I partially prebake a frozen crust for 20 mins. at 425 F after covering inner surface w a large sheet of parchment paper which is then filled w about 1 lb. of inexpensive dried beans (latter reserved exclusively for reuse as pie weights). Meanwhile, make a ring of alum. foil that will protect rim of pastry from excessive browning. Remove from oven. Gently lift out paper filled w beans. Gently cover pastry rim with foil without pressing it down. Return pastry to oven for an additional 5 minutes. N.B. For triple protection: a) prick crust w fork on sides and bottom before freezing; b) for custard fillings, especially, brush partially pre-baked shell lightly w egg white after those last 5 mins. in oven as soon as you take it out and place it on a cooling rack. This offers a nice seal.

2013-09-09_13.45.37
Eliz. added 5 months ago

P.S. During Pie Week just before Thanksgiving a column was devoted to blind baking (Nov. 23), that is, partially pre-baking a pie crust. You'll find oodles of other good instructions if you use "Pie Week" as search terms for columns at Food52.