🔔
🔎

What do you do with rutabagas?

Seriously. I have no idea, aside from roasting. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

asked 10 months ago

I think they are good roasted, so that’s a fine beginning. You can also peel and cut them into pieces, and boil or steam until tender. Then mash them with a bit of salt and pepper, and lots of cream and butter. The butter and cream is what makes them palatable, so don’t skimp. You might want to add a bit of sugar or honey, too.

My mom used to brown a piece of pork (you don’t need an expensive cut for this), then add onions, garlic, rutabagas and potatoes and braise it very slowly. Before serving, she would mash the potatoes and rutabagas just a bit. This was not my favorite dinner when I was growing up, but I might like it now.

In Germany, rutabagas were food of desperation during hard times. Today you don’t see them very often in the markets and most people consider the rutabaga as cattle fodder.

Treat them as you would treat a turnip. They are good in slow cooked dishes like stews.

Flower-bee

You can also make fries out of them.

I like adding rutabagas to beef stew. The assertive flavor of the rutabaga stands up well to beef.

I think rutabagas have been maligned! My family loves rutabagas, peeled, diced, boiled and mashed. And yes you do need the butter but they have a wonderful and unique flavor.

Cakes

I like to poach them in cream along with a slice of fresh horseradish, then purée them once they're tender.

Horseradish and rutabaga; I like it!

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13
Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13
Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Oh! You could also type "rutabaga" in Food52's recipe search box, there was a rutabaga contest some time ago: http://food52.com/recipes...

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Sorry, I meant a "root vegetable" contest. oops....

I just came across this recipe on BBC’s food website. It sounds worth making.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food...
(‘rutabaga’ is ‘swede’ in England.)