🔎

Pegeen added 4 months ago

Sounds like a delicious desert.

I've never had a success with uncurdling flan or other milk-based desserts. As far as I know, you can't uncurdle milk.

Stringio

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. She also raises olives and makes oil in Tuscany, providing firsthand experience for her forthcoming book about olive oil.

As a matter of fact, I was just reading yesterday about what to do with curdled creme anglaise which is very close to flan. The suggestion was to turn it into a bread pudding, using cake instead of bread--sort of like an English trifle. The cake will absorb the curds so no one will ever know the difference. I haven't tried it, but it seems to me worth an experiment.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added 3 months ago

I had two other successful flan batches to take my mind off my failure, so chucked it is, but thank youall. the trifle sounds like a good use for the curdled flan, layered with cake etc., but not the bread pudding because you wouldn't weant the flan to get baked twice, and you would need a fresh custard baked in the bread pudding , to act as a binder for the bread pudding et al.

btw, after the fact, i found this terrific flan lesson. I recommend it to anyone considering making flan:
http://www.the350degreeoven...