🔔
🔎

How many cookbooks do you own? Just curious...

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

asked 11 months ago

Somewhere in the upper hundreds. Every flat surface in my house has books stacked on it.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Forgot to answer my question. I have about 95 on the shelf and another 20 or so on my Kindle. I think it is modest. My husband thinks I am crazy...

I have about 2000, but honestly, I have stopped counting.

Chris_in_oslo

I have 421 that eatyourbooks.com recognizes plus some older, odder, or foreign ones that they don't include in their list 124,977. Every time I read that dymnyno has 2000, I think I should invite myself up to visit her.

Way to many according to my husband !!! I do not think I have enough!!

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

we compete for the space on the shelves, ha ha ha

I thought I had a lot at 140... But I do have a recipe card holder with about 3000 recipes.

You guys put me to shame!

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Close to one thousand. A very good number. I do cull periodically but also buy so I think I am steady state. I live in a tiny row house in the Bronx so there are limits.

Way too many to count. Every couple of years I go through them and donate to my local library. I

Twitterprofilepic

I have about 40, although the count is rapidly growing. Don't scoff, I suppose I'm a fledgling compared to all the rest of you. After all I'm only 22! For heaven's sake!

When we moved I took about 15 boxes of books to the resale shop and culled down to about 100. Needless to say it grows by one or two every time I go to the bookstore or something interesting pops up here.

Bigpan

Maybe I am lucky. I "had" about 1,200, but got tired of lugging them around and not using most. The good ones I donated to various local libraries, the others to charities. The very good ones I donated as prizes for various events...and the extremely good ones (like my Salvador Dali, Bucose, first edition Julia etc) I kept.
I find most anything I need is on Google. I will sometimes search Google via "Google Images" and let that lead me to a recipe.
But lately I have been building a library of ideas and recipes on Food52 ! ! !

Bigpan

I hope y'all have considered your insurance policies. Generally you can't insure a "thing" in a useful way, unless it's over $1,000 or so. But if you had a large collection, that could be insured. And evaluated by the insurance company. Also worthwhile checking out sales of cookbook collections on eBay.

Momo_malasada_

I'll ballpark it at 250, but sadly, I only use about 10% regularly...and yet, I can't seem to ditch the rest. Magazines are a different story. Those I've torn recipes out of and purged with no problem.

My cookbook collection is somewhere around 500 "real" books, and about 60 ebooks. Due to space limitations, I try to avoid buying new books, but it's a hard habit to break.

Portrait

Never enough.

A recent move was an excellent purging experience. One possession which was seriously culled was cookbooks. Ever since, I've maintained the vow to not fill the voids all over again. I have space in my closet, room on the closet floor, and space on bookshelves - for books as well as cookbooks. My collection of the latter is under 100, and I intend to keep it that way. I receive many as gifts, and regift many of those. I only have or keep what are genuinely important to me, whatever the reason. The number of truly significant new ones published each year is small, so re-accumulating the overflow is honestly not a temptation.

Dsc_0028

I'm in the same league as dymnyno and a charter member of eatyourbooks. Lately, I've been buying cookbooks on Kindle for portability and in an attempt to convince myself I don't need to own the physical book. I do own a few in both formats, those I rely on more frequently.

Baci1

I've never really counted, but between 75-100 on a bookcase dedicated solely to cooking. I had a moratorium on purchasing new cookbooks for 4 years which was only lifted about 6 months ago when I HAD to buy "Every Grain of Rice" by Fuchsia Dunlop.

P1291120

In my kitchen I have two, relatively short, bookshelves where the cookbooks I use regularly live (you have to "earn" a spot in my kitchen!). Elsewhere in the house there are many more shelves filled with cookbooks. I feel like a wimp admitting it, but only buy/keep cookbooks that prove themselves useful, so the total is less than 100 and probably closer to 60. I ruthlessly and regularly purge (after, of course, binge-ing!).

I probably have about 150, plus a decent collection of magazines. And at any given time I have 5-10 out from the library for an audition. I, too will mention the insurance issue because I am in the process of increasing my coverage - do you all have enough coverage to replace your collection, along with your other possessions, should something happen?

Stringio

I have 1 cookbook in my apartment that was a recent gift. But I have been accumulating 1000s of recipes in my Evernote notebooks from blogs, magazines, the occasional cook the book post, and Food52 of course. I try to keep up on organizing these recipes in a way that is useful to make it easy to find the tried and true favorites.
There are some books I would like to have but have not had the funds for since my move. There are a few ones that my mom has that are good references. I feel like I should get one of those. Any good suggestions?

Dsc_0028

I'm sure we could give you loads of suggestions! First, it would be helpful to know what sort of cook you are -- beginner or more experienced? -- and what sort of food interests you most.

Stringio

Thank you cookbookchick. Maybe this will be best in its own thread! I will go start one. :)

I lost a lot of cookbooks and other books (plus other stuff) in a home flood. It has changed my home habits. I do not plan on replacing them. I am grateful for sites like this where I can get information when I need it. I often read cookbooks to lull me to sleep at night... the library is great for that.

I agree, Pegeen. I find I use the ones I have much more than I ever did when I had more of them. Less really is more.

Dsc_0048b

In the ballpark of 200.

Dsc_0028

Marie Weber, let us know when you start that new thread!

Dsc_0048b

And like Pegeen I try to use the library. If they have a new book I'm thinking about in their collection, I'll try it out for free first and see if it's one I just enjoy reading once or if I "need" it.

Far too many - 1,455! But as long as I have space for them I can't bear to part with them. And I do now use them a lot more since starting eatyourbooks.com. Given how many recipes they must contain, you would think I would never need to get a new one, but they keep seducing me (no willpower).

About 300...... I love to read them as well as cook

Image

About 400 right now, maybe 3,000 over the years. Do I look at them now? No ... (I have an App for that)!
In hindsight, all that money over all those years ... and now it's on your damn phone.

I counted 325+ and while adding them up found my Great Aunt Rose's cookbooks. She was a famously bad cook (she burned everything) but the recipes she wrote in longhand, especially the dandelion wine recipe, really touched my heart. Thank you for the prompt. I buy a lot of books second hand and have multiple copies of my favorites and out of print books just in case I want to gift them to new cooks. Vegetarian Epicure I and II anyone?

Barb

I recently moved and sold or gave away about 25 boxes of books.
I kept 25 boxes of cookbooks, I'll have to go count them but it
fills three bookcases. Love them all and refer to them often.