What can I use for a substitute for Accent? (contains MSG)

I have a salad dressing recipe which calls for 1TBSP and 1tsp of accent. Accent contains MSG and my children love this recipe and use it almost every day.

asked by Melanie Hiniker over 1 year ago
Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

Usually if you don't want to use MSG you just omit it from a recipe. Have you tried that and how was the taste? It might need a little more salt. If you can post the recipe we might be able to make suggestions that might up the flavor quotient. Like Parmesan cheese, soy sauce, miso paste, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, lemon juice, lime juice or red wine vinegar off the top of my head.

Also I see that Accent, while it seems to be primarily MSG and salt, also contains some seasoning:

Monosodium Glutamate, Salt, Chili Pepper, Tricalcium Phosphate (As Anticaking Agent), Spice (Cumin, Oregano), Paprika Extractives(color), Garlic Extractives, Onion Extractives, Yellow No.6 Lake, Yellow No.5 Lake.

You might add some general seasoning, Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning is pretty cheap and in most grocery stores and works well as a general seasoning and contains some of the flavors in Accent. Or a seasoning mix you like or a mix that doesn't have salt, like Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Penzy's makes many wonderful seasoning blends including, salt free seasonings as well as a salad seasoning I've not tried yet.
http://www.penzeys.com/

I'm really curious about your dressing and I'm always looking for a good one. I bet it is really old recipe, since it uses Accent.

D6344202-6e41-4645-a7ff-6b8573a9ec3a.stringio

I have a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of 'Accent'. I live in the UK and it's not available here. Thanks for this information; I can make my own now and add it to my recipe! :-)

21cce3cd-8e22-4227-97f9-2962d7d83240.photo_squirrel

There is a neat msg-less product called Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids that you can get at Whole Foods and health food stores. Has a deep complex flavor that spikes the flavor of what you add it to (which is what Accent and other MSG products are supposed to do. My mom used to tell me tyhat when Chinese cooking entered the American mainstream cooking world, one of the TV Chinese cooking instructors used to hold up a jar of MSG to the camera and say, "MSG make watah (water) taste like Chicken Soup"!!!

0f493ab9-068f-4498-ba2c-95c992214d52.sit2

Do you have a rational reason for not using MSG? It's a naturally occurring chemical (Like sodium chloride)
And formal studies have found no link to the 'Chinese restaurant syndrome' people complain about.

In fact your own body produces about 40 grams of MSG a day---about the 1/2 the size of a Accent container. http://www.lakeconews.com...

But if you're just worried about MSG. You can soak some dried mushrooms with some seaweed and use that for liquid...but I hate to break it too you; if you do that. You've just extracted MSG.