🔎

A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Is it possible to replace the milk with buttermilk?

122010f_441
Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 2 months ago

Normally, I would say yes, but the recipe has you scalding the milk. If you try to scald buttermilk, it will separate into curds and whey, leaving you with a curdled, chunky mess. However, I still think you could use buttermilk--just don't heat it on the stove. Let it come to room temp and then add it. I mean, you could even use it cold, but it will slow the rising time.

saltboxandbrownbread added 2 months ago

Thanks! I did just that and they worked out fantastically!!!!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added 2 months ago

but i do believe that bakers typically respond that changing from milk to buttermilk requires a change in your leavener(bak soda). I always forget the rule but you can find it through google.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 2 months ago

It's true, Le Bec Fin, but in this case it's a non-issue, as yeast is the leavener.

Tag_pic
Chef Jason Lee added 2 months ago

Just make sure to readjust your bakers ratio's due to you adding more fat to the recipe