A question about a recipe: Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

122010f_441

I have a question about the recipe "Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls" from monkeymom. Is it possible to replace the milk with buttermilk?

asked by saltboxandbrownbread 7 months ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

Normally, I would say yes, but the recipe has you scalding the milk. If you try to scald buttermilk, it will separate into curds and whey, leaving you with a curdled, chunky mess. However, I still think you could use buttermilk--just don't heat it on the stove. Let it come to room temp and then add it. I mean, you could even use it cold, but it will slow the rising time.

Thanks! I did just that and they worked out fantastically!!!!

Photo_squirrel

but i do believe that bakers typically respond that changing from milk to buttermilk requires a change in your leavener(bak soda). I always forget the rule but you can find it through google.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

It's true, Le Bec Fin, but in this case it's a non-issue, as yeast is the leavener.

Tag_pic

Just make sure to readjust your bakers ratio's due to you adding more fat to the recipe