A question about a recipe: Chocolate Bundt Cake

9094917684_a054364247_z

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Bundt Cake" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef. can I use soured cream instead of sour milk?

asked by Leyanne Taylor 8 months ago
Photo_on_2014-07-11_at_6.17_pm

Hi Leyanne, no, I would not. Sour cream is a semi solid and sour milk is a liquid. The cake needs sour milk for its moistness. Thanks! That being said, there are lots of sour cream cakes out there that are great!

Ok, thanks. I think I'll have to make my own, sour milk isn't, as far as I'm aware, commercially available in the UK.

Did you mean sour cream or soured cream?

Aren't they the same thing?

Photo_squirrel

I do not agree w/ shalini at all. in baking it's pretty dependable that buttermilk(sour milk) = sour cream= yoghurt. Also, a simple replacement for butter milk (don't you have clabbered milk in UK?) is 1 cup room temp milk minus 2 Tablespoons, plus 2 T. white vinegar. let sit a few minutes; will show curd in a few minutes.

(you see, in the heat of the oven, those thicker products all become liquid.) What's important is that soured milk products have their own requirements for leaveners, so if you want to change from a soured milk to a regular milk, you would need to change your leavener amounts. that is a whole other topic!

We have buttermilk here, but I've no idea what clabbered milk is. I think I'll give it a try with sour cream and report back. Unless you're saying that sour milk is the same as buttermilk? It's all very confusing translating products across the atlantic! :)

Buttermilk can be substituted for sour milk which is made by added vinegar to milk. I think that you could use cream and add vinegar, too.

Photo_squirrel

yes, sour milk= buttermilk. For those who enjoy drinking them, they both have a tart refreshing taste.

Thank you! :) Kind of makes me wonder why the recipe doesn't just say Buttermilk?