🔔
🔎

is remoulade sauce for a po boy supposed to be runny?

asked by walkie74 10 months ago
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Runny? No. Link the recipe you used, that would help what went wrong. Did you let it chill in the refrigerator?

2013-06-23_16.59.04

I made the recipe and then put it in the freezer for about half an hour, hoping it would thicken. I even added extra mayo, but no luck. It was still the consistency of ranch dip.
http://www.simplyrecipes...

Cornstarch is a miracle worker. Add a tsp and wisk, repeat until desired consistency is reached.

Baci1

Cornstarch needs heat to thicken. It won't thicken in this remoulade recipe by just whisking in.

Photo_squirrel

deave, I have never heard of using cornstarch to thicken something cold. You have used it for that? I thought it required heat to activate the thickening.

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

LE BEC FIN's answer, copied from a duplicate question:

walkie, always best if you link the recipe. In restaurants remoulade has alwatys had the thickness of mayo. But i made it from a Paul Prudhomme book maybe 15 yrs ago, and it was thinner than that.
p.s. what you might do is start with some hellman's mayo , and add the remoulade NON LIQUID ingredients to it. Taste it and add enough liquid ingredients (but not oil or egg) from the remoulade recipe to give the right flavor balance but keep the sauce thicker.

Farmer's_market

Does it taste right, thickness aside? If so and it's the consistency of ranch dressing as you say, I'd probably just drizzle it as is over the fried oysters when you make the sandwiches. Seems fine for that application...e.g. like drizzling tahini sauce over a gyro. Might even be better that way!

Remoulade should be on the "wet" side but at the same time it seems a little odd to put on a po' boy (depending on the contents of course).

Farmer's_market

Why is it "odd"? Remoulade with fried oysters/shrimp, including on a po' boy, is pretty classic. Regardless, it's a lovely match.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

New England po' boys are always served with roulade or tarter sauce. My tried and true recipe seems a hit thicker and chunkier with super small diced vegetables, but that could be a regional preference. If I find my recipe, I'll share but its quite different from what you posted.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Wet? Not what I'm used to on po'boy's. Thicker with capers, gherkins home-made aioli, garlic - could be regional. Its thick but should spread fine.

Remoulade tastes perfectly fine on a fried shrimp po' boy but in New Orleans the typical "dressing" is a combination of mayo and ketchup with horseradish. And of course the other typical dressing would be gravy.
Do they have po' boys in New England? Or are they called "pawer boys"?