First, what is the filling? Second, I would rub the outside with olive oil and salt and prick the skin all over so that duck fat will melt and baste the meat. Start the oven at 450F and then lower it to 375F about fifteen minutes in. It should take no more than an hour. Use an instantread (aka Thermapen) to check for internal temperature. It should hit 160F. Take it out and let it rest.

thanks very much for this! stuffing was just some cooked farro, porcini and (cooked) pancetta. I had a go before I saw this (started oven off at highest temperature and lowered to 180c) and it was already pretty done in about 50 minutes. will see how I go on your instructions next time. thanks again!

Stringio
Michael Ruhlman

Michael is a food critic and established cookbook author -- Ruhlman's Twenty and Egg: A Culinary Exploration are the most recent additions to his vast body of work.

not enough info here, as pierino suggests. very hard to cook rare medium rare and fully cook stuffing. need different strategy.

thanks for this! as noted in my question, the filling (farro and porcini) was already cooked- just didn't know how long the actual duck would take. I gave it 45 mins at 180c and it was already pretty done by that time.