Dehydrating. Borrowed a dehydrator from a friend. Totally addicted. I think I need one.

Fruits and beef and game oh my. Anybody have an amazing recipe I need to try? Also, I really am thinking about buying one. But I don't want to science a fortune and I want it to be easy to clean.

asked by kimhw 6 months ago
Lulusleep

You can get cheaper one, but I really like the Excalibur. It is very easy to clean and has very useable surface space. The variable temperature is great to accommodate a variety of food. I got the one with 26 hour timer, which is a useful function.

Buddhacat

The Excalibur is truly worth the money. I spent less because I did not get the timer and have not had a problem. Cheaper ones do not circulate the air, do not have temp controls and are very hard to clean.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Excaliber's website sometimes has "refurbished" models for less

Americas test kitchen does a great job testing kitchen appliances for which is best for the price. Check them out

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Sadly, neither America's Test Kitchen nor Consumer Reports seems to have evaluated dehydrators. I've seen lots of very positive comments about the Excaliber on canning/home preserving websites. Excaliber has two 9-tray refurbs on the site right now, one with a timer and one without.

Buddhacat

My Excalibur is 5 trays and works great. Unless you have a large family, 5 trays is sufficient.

got my excalibur for $10 at yard sale. chk craigslist. they are great dehydrators!

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

foodgrrrl, I think the rest of us need to know where your yard sales are! What a deal, eh? Kimhw might also see if there's a freecycle group (https://www.freecycle.org...) where she lives - she might as well ask; you never know who's got one that's just gathering dust and needs a new home.

lol ~ i thought so too! purchased at a sale in leavenworth kansas. now i'm back in southeast az - the yard sales aren't as good here. maybe she'll run across one in a thrift store. cheers!