Does dutch processed cocoa have a better flavor than a natural cocoa powder or cacao powder?

asked by M. 5 months ago

No just different than regular cocoa powder - it's alkaline. Better than cacao in my opinion!

I think natural tastes richer.

Open-uri20140216-29440-dnqq0t

Dutch process is natural but has been alkalized to neutralize it.
Natural cocoa is acidic and reacts with baking soda.
Dutch process can deepen the flavor when using less sugar as the sugar does not have to overcome the acidity in Natural cocoa.
For the most part there is not a lot of difference in flavor between the two.. one way to boost the flavor of cocoa powder in a recipe is to use a bit of powdered coffee or espresso powder. Not too much.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

According to many bakers, you should vary the type of cocoa powder you use depending on the flavor you want. Dutch process cocoa powder is actually a bit milder than "natural" cocoa powder--I personally think the flavor of Dutch process cocoa is similar to the chocolate flavor of an Oreo--and I don't mean that as an insult. I really love Dutch process for its smooth, mellow flavor and intensely dark color.
Natural cocoa powder tastes a bit stronger and fruitier. I think both Dutch process and natural cocoa powder are wonderful, and you should decide for yourself which you want to use depending on the situation. Here's a really great article on the subject from a real authority: http://food52.com/blog...

M.

Thank you so much everyone! Your answers helped a lot!!