🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: A Simple Homey, Coconut-y Red Lentil Dal

2013-1216_nicholas_coconut-dal-018

I have a question about the recipe "A Simple Homey, Coconut-y Red Lentil Dal" from Nicholas. How much water should I use when making this in the slow cooker? I imagine it would be fewer than 7 cups of water.

asked by Cassandroll 8 months ago
Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

The recipe that this was adapted from (in Anupy Singla's The Indian Slow Cooker) actually calls for 9 cups of water, and as Nicholas notes in the headnotes, when using a slow cooker, Singla recommends cooking the lentils on low for 5 1/2 hours and then for another 30 minutes after adding the coconut milk.

Pict1821

And in the related article, Nicholas noted that the first time he made the recipe he did so in a slow cooker, so you could always send him a direct message to ask, just click the envelope button on his profile page here: http://food52.com/users....

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Keep in mind, too, that slow cookers vary, depending on size/diameter, age/"horsepower", etc. That said, this recipe is so forgiving. There is no single perfect dal texture or consistency. I don't use my slow cooker for dals, given how quickly red lentils cook up on the stove. Also, I'd want to see the original slow cooker recipe before converting Nicholas' recipe. I know that this recipe has tomatoes in it. Under no circumstances should you put raw onions in the slow cooker with tomatoes or any other high-acid ingredient. They simply must be sweated thoroughly at the outset or the outcome will be, in a word, awful. (This is one lesson you don't want to learn the hard way.) ;o)